Author: Kaloyan Roussev
Date: 2 December 2017
Do not make investment decisions based on this article – read the disclaimer before you proceed and leave the website if you disagree with it.
It is 2 December. This review takes into consideration investing in DBET at its current price at $0.17
How do I rate an investment in this project at the current price? (TL:DR)
This appears to be a very solid project in an industry that I do not approve of, but I am here to speculate on prices. ICO price was $0.10 but I missed that. I already bought at $0.17-0.19 a couple of weeks ago and I am very glad I did. I think it’s our last change to buy more before exchanges listings, roadmap milestones and mass adoption. Decent Bet is still only sold on EtherDelta which is the scariest exchange out there – I broke sweat while I was learning how to manage my balances and buy some DBETs. Many people on the sidelines waiting to buy once they are listed on a normal exchange. Supported in Crypto Coin Trader, most coins that get hyped up there experience at least one surge at certain point.
Decent Bet is an online casino, gambling and sports betting platform where DBET holders put up their coins and get a cut from the house’s earnings. The ICO was being talked about for months and ended about a month ago, raising $25 million. Their visual presentation and branding is flawless and looks professional. In their whitepaper, they claim to have resolved some issues typical for centralized gambling platforms on one hand, and issues that bitcoin/ether based gambling platforms have. There is also a white label service that will enable other companies to utilize Decent.bet’s platform.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the gambling industry so I don’t know how they position themselves against the established leaders in the space. The name, logo and visuals of the project are fitting, and look professional, and both the name and the logo imply the use of the platform.
The token represents a share of the house and entitles the owner to a cut in the profits. It is also going to have other utilities on the platform, as mentioned in the whitepaper. One of the most interesting utilities of the DBET token is the requirement for White Label solution clients to hold 2 million DBETs in order to be able to use their service.
Upcoming bullish events
An upcoming Japanese crypto exchange called BitPlus is going to list 4 cryptocurrencies to be traded against fiat – Bitcoin, Ethereum, something else, and DBET. There is also the inevitable listing on exchanges other than EtherDelta. Their platform starts operaing in Q1 2018 which is right around the corner.
No red flags that I can think of. There are a couple of important implementations missing from their whitepaper, instead there are headings “Implementation will be provided in final version”.
- Website: does it look good/presentable – the website is very kind on the eyes, makes you feel good, it also contains all the information one would expect from a crypto project website
- Roadmap – feast your eyes on this –
So far they’ve held their ICO and they’ve released the wallet so I guess its going okay.
- Whitepaper – https://www.decent.bet/whitepaper/ – it starts off by explaining what the project is about, what the industry entails, the current problems in the industry and other crypto gambling platforms and how Decent.bet is going to make a difference. Then a bunch of gambling-related boloney, that I couldn’t stomach reading. They go on to explain how the platform will operate, how their platform is going to enable DBET holders to get a share of the earnings, what kind of games/betting there will be. There is some information on how the tokens are distributed and what the funding will be used for. I liked how they’ve set aside a substantial part of the funding for marketing and legal – both very important in the crowded and complicated gambling space.
- What is their progress according to the roadmap – they are on schedule.
- Website: Is it a quick wordpress template, a 2-hour html job or a custom design with lots of work, money and thought thrown at it – Doesn’t look cheap or thrown together in a rush. According to this tool https://www.isitwp.com/ – decent.bet’s website is not a wordpress template, for what it’s worth.
- What new does this cryptocurrency bring to the world, what problem does it solve, what does it stand for– decentralized gambling/betting/casino platform enabling token holders to earn by staking their tokens for the platform to use. White label solutions for online gambling platforms.
- How does the cryptocurrency name sound (does it sound legit and like a good brand name) –sounds decent, has a positive vibe. Reminds me of one of the catchphrases by Trailer Park Boys character Bubbles
- How does the logo look – looks like a casino roulette. I like it.
- Is it a PoW, PoS or PoW/PoS coin, what is the mining difficulty or APR, does it suffer from inflation – whitepaper isn’t too technical, but there’s no mining involved and I don’t think it’s also a proof of stake coin, because the tokens won’t be exactly staked, they will be exchanged for house shares. I am also not sure if the earnings distributed will be fiat or more minted coins. Gotta look into that. EDIT: A member of their slack workspace gladly explained that as it is an ERC-20 token there is no PoS and all the tokens are already minted – 205 million of them, there will be no inflation. Earnings will be distributed in DBET tokens, which is what gamblers will bet with.
- Who is behind the cryptocurrency – are they shady figures, or have they placed their names and pictures on the website; what is their track record and reputation; do a quick google/github research on them – a team of 9 people with decades of collective experience in the gambling/IT sector, successful entrepreneurs, linkedin profiles available to boot. Jedediah seems to be friendly and likeable character. Not familiar with the rest of the crew, except for Revv Nissan who is a respected figure in the crypto world.
- What is the limit on supply of coins in circulation – 205 million, currently 58 in circulation.
- Is there a link to the source code – https://github.com/decent-bet – only wallet so far. The rest is either closed-source or not started yet, both not optimal IMO.
- When was the last commit made, and how frequent are commits – a week ago
- How many developers participate in the coding – The team currently has three developers (Adrian, Lead Dev, and James) who have made commits to their public github and I have been told that they are actively hiring more in anticipation of their platform launch
- What the project survival relies on – Ethereum network, I guess.
- Will this project survive a cryptocurrency bubble burst and does/will it have enough of a following that needs it every day – looks like a very legit, useful, focused project that will solve some problems for the gambling community and it very liked by its supporters. On the other hand, the gambling industry is vicious and overcrowded, so can’t say really.
- Competition – I’m going to quote a member of their slack channel:
why DBET. I have been waiting for a crypto gambling platform to impress me. I’ve invested in PeerPlays (epic fail), Edgeless (delays, issues, hacked), Wagerr (delays, incompetence), and passed on FunFair (they had 50 users in their slack right before ICO – likely very centralized ownership of tokens). DBET has checked all the blocks that these other projects have not. They have properly aligned their incentives to investor incentives. They are decentralized. EDG pays out 40% of profits to investors, and those investors don’t need to “lock up” their tokens, but will merely send them to a smart contract at a designated time. DBET gives 100% of profits, and requires the lock-up which will reduce circulating coin supply (and cause price to increase). The team is public, genuine, and puts their face on their product unabashedly. If they can deliver the tech, the user interface is easy, the on-ramp from fiat to crypto is simple (please do this right BitPlus), and properly market the end product – this will be the best gambling platform in all of crypto. From what I’ve seen, they have the best shot at delivering on all these necessary things. This is the type of project you 1) HODL long term, 2) tell friends about.
Exchanges and trading
- Which exchanges (and how reputable they are) is the coin traded on – EtherDelta only at this time.
- Daily trading volume – $24k
- Market cap – $9,850,882
- Are there buy (support) or sell (resistance) walls – looking at EtherDelta now, there are 9 Eth buy orders down to 0.000302001 ETH price, and there are 50x ether sell orders up to 0.000389000 so according to market depth, price might keep going down short term (in the absence of bullish news/events). I would buy again at around ICO price of $0.10
- How does the price chart look –channel between $0.10-$0.20 high volatility within these limits, mainly caused by the wide spread between buy/sell orders, low volume, one exchange. Hasn’t been pumped yet.
- Is there a Bitcointalk forum Announcement thread – yes https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2174479.0
- How many pages is it – only 3 pages.
- History of the coin according to the forum and general public impression of the coin throughout –positive. Since there isn’t a lot of stuff going on in the bitcointalk forum, I’m going to read some slack discussion instead.
- Do they have a blog, anything interesting on it? – no link to a blog on their web site
- Is there a chat channel –slack https://decent-bet.slack.com/
- How many members on slack– 5k
- Impressions from the conversations on slack– A massive fight caused by one user suggesting that the casino allows for fiat and ether deposits (this would make the demand for DBETs and their price low). Learned that last year gambling online was a 50 billion USD industry. Decent.bet’s team have been on some conferences and have gained lots of interest, closing deals, getting more devs. dbet.jedediah is Decent.bet’s founder. Here is a quote from today “We are finalizing the sportsbook alpha as we speak and are very close to that release as well as the release of the house alpha” They are updating their website, too, here’s a peak at the UI https://marvelapp.com/215d864/screen/30343952 Here’s some info on exchanges, again from Jedediah “so yes we have exchanges ready to list they have done their due diligence and are ready immediately” Some arguments about Revv’s participation in the ICO. All in all lots and lots of activity on their slack, and very constructive, and sometimes heated, discussions.
- Is there a Twitter profile for the project and does it post regular updates, how many followers https://twitter.com/decent_bet/ – 2400 likes,posting several times a week – development updates, conference updates, crypto news etc
- Is there a Facebook page for the project and does it post regular updates, how many likes – https://www.facebook.com/decentbet/ 9400 likes, its usually the other way around for other crypto projects. Seems that Decent.bet is much bigger on Facebook rather than Twitter.
Popularity and perception
- What does a quick google search tell us about the project – nothing much rather than the bitcointalks thread, their own website, the coinmarketcap listing, some articles about the ICO and a kinda bearish article by a website like ours, where they rate ICOs – https://hacked.com/ico-analysis-decent-bet/
- Are there youtube videos about the coin – here’s a comprehensive interview with Jedediah, although the interviewer has a sketchy reputation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVpx9BL4f-E – comments are mostly positive. This bullish video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTOV3wbqcJ0 – comments are mixed, some commenters recommend a project called Wagerr. Cryptosomniac has made an in-depth analysis here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bACYEHUQD8U – two commenters call scam, and two others claim this is a paid review. Bullish review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNY4MG-wpN4 with bullish comments. This is Decent.bet’s own youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCItUzfVU_mlZsU9FJegg3LA
- Is the coin associated with illegal/criminal activity or the dark web – not sure how online gambling stands in terms of legislation, but at least the token is not associated with much worse activities, unlike other projects that power the dark web and the dark web visitors’ hideous deeds.
I am sure I might’ve made some mistakes in this post or in my research. Please, forgive me, if I have, and contact me to tell me where I went wrong. It takes about 4-5 hours of my time to do a full research on a cryptocurrency, and I try to do at least 4 per week.
Subscribe to get immediate updates once a new report is available
Subscribe to the weekly newsletter: